Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Fantasy Shiners and Sleepers: Week One Results



It was a good week. I had a few picks that were off, but I don't expect to be perfect. I still probably did better than Matthew Berry and I don't even claim to be a fantasy expert. What does that even mean? Anyway, here's my results from my picks last week. Look for my new set to hit the site Saturday.

Quarterbacks

Top - Drew Brees vs Detroit Lions
Statline - 26/34, 358 Yards, 6 TD's, 1 INT
Fantasy Points - 48*

I'm going to go ahead and say this was a solid pick. I may be slightly understating it, but it was a solid pick. I had him on my fantasy team. Needless to say, I won. He absolutely went nuts on the Lions defense. Granted, it was the Lions defense. I would be inclined to pick him next week too, but the I saw the Philadelphia defense play.

Sleeper - Matt Hasselbeck vs St. Louis Rams
Statline - 25/36, 279 Yards, 3 TD's, 2 INT's
Fantasy Points - 25*

Well, after seeing him start off the game with two interceptions, I was regretting this pick to say the least. He did come back big time in the second half and came away with a pretty good statline. 25 points from you starting fantasy quarterback should be a solid performance and get you in position to win.



Running Backs

Top - LaDainian Tomlinson vs Oakland
Statline - 13 car, 55 Yards, 1 TD
Fantasy Points - 11*

Hmm, he looked very good on a few runs, but that Raider defense was swarming. I still look for Tomlinson to have a good year. 11 fantasy points isn't bad by any means, but it's not enough for my top RB, but I'd take 11 points on my team any day.

Sleeper - Cadillac Williams vs Dallas Cowboys
Statline - 13 car, 97 Yards, 1 TD
Fantasy Points - 15*

Can I say I told you so? I really liked what I saw in the preseason from Cadillac, and it definitely transferred over into the real deal. The knee looks strong, and he still looks fast. I really hope he can stay healthy and be a mainstay at running back for the Bucs. They need something at least.



Wide Receivers

Top - Terrell Owens vs New England
Statline - 2 rec, 46 yards
Fantasy Points - 4*

Tough. I at least was in the right game (Moss had 141). Oh well. Not really a great week for WR's. Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin were all quiet. Calvin Johnson and Chad Ochocinco had good outings, but no scores. Tough week for receivers.

Sleeper - Anthony Gonzalez vs Jacksonville Jaguars
Statline - Injured in 1st Quarter
Fantasy Points - 0*

I will admit when I was wrong, and I guess I can use that line here. In my defense, however, he did leave Sunday's game with an injury before he even had any time to make an impact. I'm not worried about it, but I do know Indianapolis is.



Tight Ends

Top - Tony Gonzalez vs Miami Dolphins
Statline - 5 rec, 73 Yards, 1 TD
Fantasy Points - 13*

Well, the best tight end to ever play as far as I'm concerned and he sure looked like it on Sunday. I expect similar production throughout the year from Tony G. He looks comfortable and that can be deadly for defenses.

Sleeper - Jeremy Shockey vs Detroit Lions
Statline - 4 rec, 31 Yards, 2 TD's
Fantasy Points - 15*

Brees needed someone to throw to, right? Not staggering numbers yardage-wise, but he's playing the role I thought he would. He's going to catch touchdowns, a lot. The Saints have plenty of good WR's leaving Shockey on linebackers and safeties. Shockey wins that match-up everytime.



Defense

Top - Baltimore vs Kansas City
Statline - 24 points, 188 yards, 1 FF, 3 Sacks
Fantasy Points - 11*

Well, in my defense, 7 of these points came from a blocked punt. Can't chalk that one up to the defense. Regardless, they looked decent only giving up 188 yards, but they can't allow the points. Definitely not worth my top defense pick this week.

Sleeper - Washington vs NY Giants
Statline - 23 Points, 351 yards, 1 INT, 1 FF, 1 Sack
Points - 7*

A real sleeper here, but the Redskins took it literal and might as well have been sleeping on the field. They looked un-prepared. Especially on that catch and run by Mario Manningham. Lack of tackling skills. That's basic football. They need to get something fixed.


*Fantasy point values are based off of NFL.com's standard fantasy scoring.




Enter your email address for all the best NFL news, rumors, and analysis daily:

Delivered by FeedBurner